From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:49:55 -0500
Sarah Iverson wrote:

>I am a trombone player wanting to know if there are any good cds or scores
>that feature trombone for my personal use and also for examples for the
>kids I teach.  If anyone knows I would appreciate it.

Look for Christian Lindberg's BIS recordings.  Also anything by Joe Alessi,
including a trombone quartet CD called Four of a Kind.  Armin Rosin has
made a few good recordings.  Ron Barron has a good one of Hindemith works
and another of French solos.  Branimir (sp) Slokar has some good CDs, but
I like these other players/CDs better.  I could go on.  The trombone may
not be known as a solo instrument, but a lot of fine players, trombone
quartets and trios have made recordings.  Check the brass section in Tower,
etc., and maybe try "trombone" on CD Connection, Amazon, etc.  See if your
library has a copy of Schwann Opus and look in the back under "Trombone."
Incidentally, there are also some CDs of players performing excerpts.  I
can think of one by Ralph Sauer, and another by Jeff Reynolds (who has a
pretty good bass trombone solo record).  If you can ever find it, there is
a classic recording of orchestral excerpts by the old Chicago Symphony
section that is stunning.

As for orchestral works featuring major trombone solos (as oppposed to
section work):

Mahler Third Symphony, Seventh Symphony; Ravel, Bolero, L'Enfant et les
Sortileges; Berlioz, Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale; Shostakovich,
Symphonies 4, 12, 15; Stravinksky, Pulcinella; Nielsen, Flute Concerto
(bass trombone); Kodaly, Hary Janos (bass trombone); Copland, Rodeo;
Arnold, Tam o' Shanter; Virgil Thomson, Symphony on a Hymn Tune; Mozart,
Requiem; Sibelius, Seventh Symphony; Strauss, Bourgeois Gentilhomme (bass
trombone); Ibert, Divertissement; Martin, Concerto for Seven Winds;
Stravinsky, L'Histoire du Soldat; Hindemith, Concert Music for Strings and
Brass; Saint-Saens, Organ Symphony;

For section parts, think "big", e.g., Strauss, Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner,
etc. Also think "modern" as in Hanson, Diamond, Hindemith, etc., etc., etc.

That's it off the top of my head. There's more, I assure you.

Roger Hecht