From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:10:38 -0600
BIS had several LP's featuring a player named Bronimir Slokar in some
fine solos (including several transcriptions).  As a former 'bone player
myself I always enjoyed playing the concertos by Ferdinand David and
Rimsky-Korsakov.  I don't know it the David has been recorded.  For the
Korsakov I always liked the Batashov/USSR Defense Ministry Band recording
from Myelodiya.  Some go for the Davis Shuman (sp?) recording although he
distorts Korsakov's original solo part to show off more high notes.

Golden Crest records had some fine trombone recital LP's.  If you're
looking for avant-garde you may want to track down Vinko Globokar's old DG
LP.  Of course there is no shortage of great trombone jazz, and if you're
looking for an outstanding jazzy studio gathering of trombonists you can't
beat "Enoch Light presents 21 Trombones" with Urbie Green on top of the
list.

Aaron J. Rabushka