From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:11:10 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>I look at it this way; when an artist creates, his/her emotions go
>into the creation.

But do they? Indeed, SHOULD they.  A composer is not writing emotions, but
music which may evoke emotions.  This doesn't necessarily mean that the
composer has to feel those emotions, experience them.  A great composer is
one which knows how to manipulate notes into an order which can strike a
chord with the listener- not reflect his or her feelings at that specific
moment.

It is, I believe, a parallel situation with an actor: does an actor have
to have murdered somebody in order to play a murderer? Of course not.  But
by his skill he can evoke the feelings in us which he would imagine would
be evoked by a genuine murderer.

And before you jump in and shout "foul" - just think how many composers
were atheists and still produced music which is spiritually uplifting.

Jonathan