From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:22:53 -0700
John Smythe writes, regarding Elgar:

>One of the favorite recordings and performances in my entire collection is
>the Sinopoli/Philharmonia Elgar 1st Symphony coupled with "In the South."
>
>A critic in the Gramophone states that Sinopoli's Italianate phrasing and
>gesture works very well with this particular symphony.  He states, (and
>remember this is the Gramophone), "it would take a chauvinist not to like
>this performance".

I bow to many when it comes to knowledge of Elgar, to few in love of him;
however I would have to be one of the 'chauvinists' in this example.  I
not only don't like the Sinopoli, I dislike it greatly.  Taking fully 10
minutes longer than the old Barbirolli or the much newer Slatkin (who was
taught his British music by Susskind and plays it very well indeed), it
shortly become lethargic.  While I realize that Sinopoli is famed for
his 'Italiniate phrasing' that seems to be somewhat inappropriate in this
music.  I don't know who is 'the critic' alluded to, I do recall that this
recording was not generally applauded by Gramophone when it first appeared.

Jane Erb