From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:12:59 -0800
David Stewart wrote:

>I have recently become addicted to Elgar.

One of the favorite recordings and performances in my entire collection is
the Sinopoli/Philharmonia Elgar 1st Symphony coupled with "In the South."
I know I am treading in deep water here, (there are many on the list that
certainly know Elgar better than I), but it just sounds so right to me.

Sinopoli allows the listener to really luxuriate in all of Elgar's lyrical
moments, whether they are short interludes, such as in the first mov't, or
extended, (the slow mov't and that priceless section in the finale with
harps, horns and strings).  The string weight in the fireworks-like finale
is hair raising.

A critic in the Gramophone states that Sinopoli's Italianate phrasing and
gesture works very well with this particular symphony.  He states, (and
remember this is the Gramophone), "it would take a chauvinist not to like
this performance".

John Smyth