From:
Richard Harkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:05:34 -0800
To:
            [log in to unmask]  "Mail Returned"

Last year I bought a kit from Mann Lake similar to the Jenter system.  I
plan on trying it out this year.  So I would be interested in any info
you might recieve.  Also, I posted the question as to the success of it
and got some response.  Will forward to you some of the answers I
received.
                                         -  -  -   Richard

What are the reasons?
The only advantage of doing so is that you can also inseminate the eggs
with selected semen. So it can be more easy and faster to get bees of a
special breed.

Sincerely

Reimund
Beekeeper of Germany (Bavaria)
Queen Rearing of Carniolan Bees
Insemination Station

> Is this "insiminating the egg" as opposed to "inseminating the queen"?
> If so what is the process?

Sorry I may have expressed it in the wrong way. Let me tell it more
detailled.
You can also use the uninseminated eggs of drone-cells or of a queen
that lays eggs not being inseminated. You then use semen of a fertile
drone-breed which is of special interest for you and put the semen on
the eggs being layed shortly before. After doing this you can handle the
eggs or larva as common.
The queens can be forced laying uninseminated eggs by inhalation of
carbondioxyd gas.
This method is sometimes used in Germany to get better control of the
genetic evolution of a breed and to change a breed faster in a certain
way. For example it isn't allowed to import queens to New Zealand. So
you have to import semen. If you use the common way of changing a breed
you need up to 7 generations. But if you inseminate not only the queens
but also the eggs you change the breed must faster.

This will be too lenghthy to include more.  -  -  -    Richard