From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:57:51 -0500
On 12 Mar 98 at 18:01, Elroy Rogers wrote:

> > A few years ago I bought a Jenter Queen Rearing Kit. I have used
> > it a few times but I have not had much sucess with it. The main
> > problem is the workers keep eating the eggs the queen has laid in
> > the plastic cells.

> I hope this is not common because I  had just purchased the Jenter
> box and plan to order possibly two more. Maybe the bees think it is
> foreign to their hive, the directions say to pour honey over it
> before giving it to the bees and let them become familiar with it a

Regretfully it is common. We used one for a couple of seasons and
ended up throwing it at the wall. Totally unpredictable.
        If you put it in during a honey flow, expect it to be filled with
honey!
        Another favourite trick of the bees. On removing the queen excluder
part,(after the queen lays it up) the bees remove the eggs before
hatching. Sometimes the queen would not lay, even after a few days.
Why? Don't know, but we wasted a lot of time trying to find out.
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.