From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:11:55 EDT
I read the first post on this topic with bated breath, hoping that it
wouldn't be someone I knew...
I'm sure other lactnetters in the metro NY area must have felt the same.
I keep wondering, if this mom had been in the WIC program, could we have
helped her and her baby before the tragic outcome?

I also am wondering how to incorporate information in my limited time
with prenatals that mothers need to make sure this doesn't happen to
them.... I used to think that "our"  babies would not become this
malnourished bec. most mothers are supplementing with that other stuff.

WIC folks, how do we make sure this doesn't happen to our participants?

And before we totally  condemn the system, NYC has several well known
municipal  hospitals where anyone can go for medical help, regardless of
ability to pay.

Concerned,
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC