HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Smoke Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:16:20 +0000
From: Michael Pfeiffer:R08F10A
Date: ## 11/13/97 08:16 ##
Ned, Et. al.:  In the last 8 years, the Ozark National Forest has
recorded close to 1,000 "rural domestic house or farmstead" sites
dating from the late 1800's to the 1930's.  We have come across
exactly ONE standing outhouse and about a dozen or small pits that
may have been privy pits.  Most of the locals tell us that there was
not usually a pit under the outhouse and not all farms even had
outhouses.  Contact Skip Stewart-Abernathy for his report on the
Moser farmstead.  If I recall correctly, that outhouse had no
associated pit.  The back of the outhouse was butted up (no pun
intented) to the chicken pen so that the chickens had another food
source.  The free yard chickens were eaten by the family and the
chicken-pen chickens were sold in town.  We recorded an old standing
school house which had no outhouse. The locals told us that the boys
went to the woods on one side and the girls to the other.

From: Ned Heite:X400 Date: ## 11/13/97 06:53 ## From: C=US/ADMD=ATTMAIL/ORG=ATTMAIL/PN=Ned Heite/          DD.ID=internet(b)DMV.COM(b)eheite/