HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Smoke Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 13:27:04 +0000
From: Michael Pfeiffer:R08F10A
Date: ## 10/06/97 08:27 ##
Jennifer.  You can not date a single pipe stem by bore diameter. The
initial observation were made by J.C.Harrington and later, many
attempts were made to quantify that observation.  Tobacco Pipe Stem
Bore Dating breaks down after at the time of the American Revolution
in the late 1770s since the majoritiy no longer came from England.
Even the colonial period pipe stem assemblages require something
called a "statistically significant sample".  Over a half a dozen
articles have been published on the pro's and con's of pipe stem
dating.  Even if you have a large enough stem sample, pipe stem bore
dating should be used only in conjunction with other dating methods
to date your site.  Dating on a single pipe stem is usually only
possible when there is a maker's mark on the stem. I hope this helps.
Smoke Pfeiffer
or  [log in to unmask]

From: Jennifer Kahn:X400 Date: ## 10/06/97 01:02 ## From: C=US/ADMD=ATTMAIL/ORG=ATTMAIL/PN=Jennifer Kahn/          DD.ID=internet(b)ACS.UCALGARY.CA(b)jkahn/   I made a mistake in my earlier request for help dating kaolin pipe bore diameters from England and Scotland. (c. 19th century). I need information on how to date a 1/16 inch bore (or 4/64 inch