From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:28:21 -0700
I am posting this on behalf of Chele Marmet, MA, IBCLC,  who would
appreciate any replies directed to her privately as well as to the list,
at: [log in to unmask] .

Multiple Schlerosis is supposed to be a disease of degeneration of the
myelination of brain cells.  The question is, does anyone have any
thoughts or info regarding the possibility of breastmilk helping to stop
this degeneration, or even re-myelinate nerves? Chele has a good friend
from high school who is beginning to go downhill, and who has resisted
drug therapy thus far.

My own thoughts (Lisa) on the matter from my limited knowledge are that
infants benefit from myelination help via breastmilk because their brains
are still growing.  However, once reaching adult size, brain cells are no
longer "replaceable."   Not sure if you can re-myelinate them!  Anyone
else out there want to comment?

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC