HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
L J McIlrath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura J McIlrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 16:12:15 -0700
Hi.  I'm currently working on a thesis concerning a Union Pacific section
camp in SW Wyoming where (for a time) a significant proportion of the
inhabitants were Chinese laborers.  These laborers left very little in the
way of identifiably 'Chinese' evidence in the archaeological record.  What I
would like to do is a general survey of small, isolated work camps,
preferably with a population of Chinese workers, so I can get an idea of the
effects of company control, trade possibilities, worker transiency etc. on
the material in use at these camps.  Does anybody out there have references
or information on archaeological excavations at such camps? (I've been
concentrating on RR and mining camps).

Thanks in advance for any help!

By the way, I've seen Jews' Harps in Central Asia and been told they are a
"traditional Kyrghyz instrument" though I think they got them from elsewhere
-- I don't know when.  The term in Kyrghyz is Timur Komuz or "Iron lute"

Laura McIlrath
Interdisciplinary Archaeological Studies
University of Minnesota