HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
woodsman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 00:39:02 -0500
> Before I joined Histarch I routinely received junk mail through America on
> line account.  I still get way too much and a good portion of it is
> invitations to pornographic web sites (try virtual reality boyfriend or
> girlfriends!).  Can't seem to get rid of it either ...
     Another thing to watch out for is a cookie.  When you are on the
web a great number of sites try to put a piece of software on your
computer that broadcasts everything you do when you log on back to them.
I have seen up to thirty in a day.  They expire years into the future -
one I remember seeing was good ubtil 2010.  That means that whenever you
get on line your computer broadcasts back to them whatever you are doing
and you may know nothing about it.
     If you have windows 95 and explorer these programs end up in the
cookies file in windows.  Both explorer and netscape in their options
areas can be set to alert you to any cookies you receive so you can say
no if you do not want them.
woodsman