HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Frances Kemmish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 18:30:49 -0400
Richard Veit wrote:

> I am looking for the address of Robert Vogel-industrial archaeologist.  I am
> also interested in finding the address of the Fairchild Aerial Survey
> Company, they were active in the northeastern U.S. early in this century.  I
> am interested in finding out if they still exist, perhaps under a different
> name, or if their photographs have been archived anywhere.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Veit

I don't know if the Fairchild Co still exists, but their 1934 aerial
photographs of Connecticut are held in the Connecticut State Library.
There are no negatives available.

There was some talk of a project at UConn to scan them all and make them
available more widely. I don't know what the position is on that plan.
At present the State Library allows them to be copy-photographed, and
photo-copied. I am sure that this is not good for their long-term
survival. They are a precious resource, and need to be protected.

Fran Kemmish