HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Frances Kemmish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:27:09 -0500
Jeff Morris wrote:

> While researching the history of Wortley Top Forge, I have come across notes
> made in the mid-18th century by the Ironomaster John Cockshutt, concerning
> the bill of 1750 for the removal of importation duties on American iron.
>
> In which he states that the American ironmasters have an unfair advantage in
> terms of production costs through the use of slave labour, was this the case?

Further to this question - there was far less slave labour used in the
iron industry in the North (New York State and Connecticut) than the
South, even at this date, so this was not really a valid argument.

Did the bill succeed? Was there any substantial import of American iron
into Britain? (Embarrassing to know so little about the British side of
the iron industry.)

Fran