Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 11:21:40 -0600
Is anyone on lactnet from the Minnesota Area Lactation Consultants?  I
have a "Breast-feeding Fact Sheet" put out by your organization with
some really great info on it.  I noticed you mentioned that an average
of 11.1 fewer days is spent in NICU when breast milk is given. Where did
that reference come from?  I checked out Pediatrics and that was not it,
the other possibilities being TIME 1990, Minda Lazarov's senate
testimony or address at American Dietetics Assn. meeting.  I'm working
to convince the administratiion at my hospital that we need a L.C. to
work in the NICU.  Our average daily census is 24 babies and only 45% of
those moms breast-feed.  I have all the studies on NEC, SIDS, and
improved development, but have never been able to find a study that
specifically mentions shorter length of stay (as this does).  Perhaps
there are so many other variables in a premature infant's stay...  If
anyone else can help with any info or studies they've done, I really
would appreciate it.