From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 06:54:57 EDT
I agree with Alison Hazelbaker that there are many different ways to assist
babies, and it is up to the LactationConsultant to assess and understand what
will be the best way to assure that a particular baby is getting its needs met,
while at the same time assuring that the child is receiving enough to eat.  I
have heard many LCs say they NEVER finger feed, or they NEVER cup feed , or they
NEVER use bottles or they NEVER use pacifiers or they NEVER use nipple shields.
While I will admit I tend to use some methods more than others, I feel we have a
large variety of tools to use and each situation is unique.  What works with one
nursing couple may not work with another.  And that is the beauty of having so
much experience from others and having the Lactnet to share ideas.  And what MAY
work with one nursing couple may not be a plan that the mother feels she can
work with, and so we need more and more flexibility in  creating feeding plans.

The goal is to feed the baby and get the baby back to breast in the shortest
time possible, in a way that makes everybody as happy as possible in the

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC