HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Trammel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 00:11:09 EDT
RE: Paul Lagasse and WWII archaeology
I hope you didn't forget that true American Classic  A Study of Archaeology,
1948, by W.W. Taylor was begun before the war.  I believe the part in Taylor's
introduction about  being "considerably occupied and not a little incommunicado"
refers to his situation as a prisoner of war.  I was an undergraduate at SIU
-Carbondale when Taylor retired and I seem to remember a story about him sharing
a P.O.W. camp with an English anthropologist.  Wonder what they talked about to
pass the time?  Your topic sounds interesting but I think the BIG story is the
effect the war had on professional careers.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba
Alabama Historical Commission