HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 11:18:57 -0500
I'm no expert on clay, but I do notice that both Noel Hume (_A Guide to
Artifacts of Colonial America_) and Lyle Stone (_Fort Michilimackinac_) talk
about "kaolin" pipes.

I agree that terminology should be "sensitive," but I also believe that we,
as people and colleagues, should also be sensitive to the feelings of others.

Maybe "kaolin" isn't as correct as it should be, but is it really necessary
to jump on someone over their terminology? Maybe we all need to take a deep
breath -- its awfully early in the new year.

Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.