HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 08:11:25 -0500
>> I'm looking at a small, very small assemblege of Kaolin pipe bowls from a
>> contact period site in Southern New England.

In the first place, they are not kaolin. They are white clay. Moreover,
many  "white" clay pipes produced in Europe during the seventeenth and
eighteenth centuries are not white at all. Brown clay pipes were made in
Denmark, for example, in the same shapes as Dutch pipes of the period.

It is not unusual to find "white" pipes in European contexts that are very
close to the same color as the terra cotta pipes of the Chesapeake, so
let's find some terminology that is sensitive to the facts.

Now, what was the question?

Ned Heite