HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MR ARTHUR A REITER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:48:25 -0500
Dear Rick Morris,
   yes, I have seen a complete set of these "fire bombs" as you have
described. I was in an "antique" store in Cloudcroft, New Mexico and
saw a set of six, clear, glass globes, ensconced in a thick wire
frame, looking much like a 'six-pack'. They were made of thin glass,
and there use was what had been described to you by your local expert.
 They were baseball sized, too, and filled with a colorless liquid
(what I could see at the time). These "fire bombs" were represented
to me as coming from the late 1800's. Please, understand that I am
NOT an expert in this, but simply saw an example. My suggestion would
be to ask around at local antique shops for some one who collects
antique fire extinguishers. Yes, these collectors are out there. But
my best guess would be oil lamp chimney glass, too. Good luck. Joanne
Reiter.