HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 07:24:37 -0600
On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Charlie Ewen wrote:

> I could not sit idly by without commenting on my favorite pet peeve:
> Munsell books.  I have been recording Munsell values for the past two
> decades and have yet to have them provide me better data than if dark
> brown had been recorded rather than 10YR 3/4. To me it adds an insidious
> false sense of objectivity. Yes, my dark brown may be your medium greyish
> brown,but then my 10YR 3/4 may be your 10YR 2/3.  To have truly consistent
> soil color readings across a site, the same individual must make the
> observations.  I will continue to teach my students how Munsell charts are
> supposed to work, since so many contracts require them, but I will also
> continue to register my reservations. I feel better now.

Thanks Charlie for your observations, in addition to having the same
person record the Munsell values, one should also make sure they are
recorded under the same or at least similar circimstances, ie. wet or dry
soil, sunny or cloudy weather.  Munsell values may be valuable to some,
but nothing replaces a detailed narative of the soil structure.

Jack H. Stewart
Sponsored Research Program
Arkansas Archeological Survey
Fayetteville Arkansas