HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Staeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 08:17:28 CST
On Thu, 27 Oct 1994 14:18:34 EDT, L. Daniel Mouer wrote:

>Mark Landon fears for the pot, the site and the discipline. I fear
>for my sanity and attention span sitting through endless paper
>presentations about bells and whistles.

Fair enough.  I agree that too many "bells and whistles" are problematic.
Yet, I think we might try to understand that some areas of research are in
their infancy and need to be allowed to grow.  This does not exempt such
growth experiences from criticism, surely this would be a disservice rather
than a service to both our colleagues and our discipline.  Yet, in a world
that continues to expand its population and settlements at an unchecked
rate, we may find that today's bells and whistles provide the spark for
tomorrow's creative (and perhaps required) solutions to finding and
protecting the past before it is developed for condos.  Let us not be too
acidic to those who try to push our technological level into the 21st
century.

Another old fart who, like many of us, has seen one too many site developed
in the name of urban renewal.
John Staeck, aka Janos           Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.
Luther College, Anthropology
Decorah, IA, 52101
319-387-1284