HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Buckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 21:09:08 -0500
Wow.
        I go away for the weekend, having said my peace about the use of
computers and technology in archaeology, and I come home to find myself
barraged with mail in the subject (even from arch-l).  I seem to be one
of the few actual supporters of their use, as people pull out their
horror stories about using radar technology or GIS technology (I hope
that your experience hasn't forever ruined it for you Anita!).  I too
have seen technology used to fill out an investigation light on content.
I don't advocate their use to 'flash' up maps and what not.  They're not
perfect, nor should anyone say they are.  They require experimentation to
find out just what their strengths and weakness there are.  And yes they
can be expensive (but sometimes not).  This is all true.  What is also
true, is that none of this invalidates their use.
        I guess what bugs me right now about this discussion is this so
called old fart - young fart tact.  Is this really a useful piece of logic?
and oh BTW, Whoever said it I agree totally- It is the skill of the
wielder and not the tool.

A whole wide world,                     John Buckler
an endless Universe,                    University of Maryland, College Park
Yet we keep looking                     [log in to unmask]
through the eyeglass in reverse.
-Neal Peart