Karen K. Swope, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, Historical Archaeology
Statistical Research, Inc.
4425 Juan Tabo Blvd. NE, Ste 112
Albuquerque, NM 87111-2681
(505)323-8300
(505)323-8314 FAX
[log in to unmask]
Statistical Research, Inc., is a certified woman-owned small business that has provided Cultural Resource Management and Historic Preservation services since 1983.
This communication is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately destroy it and notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone (909)335-1896 (call collect).

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paulina Przystupa
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Object identification/References

Hello all,

I was wondering if people had good references (including photos) for Calk/Caulk/Cork boots used by lumberjacks, the ones with the spikes on the bottom. I'm particularly interested in styles before 1960 and if possible that were mid-calf or shorter. It seems like most modern ones have sockets on the bottom where spikes can be taken out and replaced, like track shoes, while the older ones were not so modular.  So any references that talk about the evolution of those over time or links to manufacturer's catalogs etc. would be very helpful.

Related to that, if anyone has good references for how much leather boots like caulk/cork ones can shrink over time that would be a great help. I'm interested in estimating shoe size but I don't want to over estimate how much the leather shrank.

Lastly, if anyone knows more about this object (3 photos at different
distances) Photo Credit Burke Museum:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRRzF4WEFYTTdvSFk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRb2JUNmt6Qmg3bjg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRemhmNWlVN0ZMNHM/view?usp=sharing

It looks like an flint fire starter and we found some pieces like this at a couple of places on the site. However, this piece had an attachment on one part and we weren't sure if that could help specify what kind of fire starter it was etc. Thanks for your time.

--
Paulina F. Przystupa, MA
Graduate Student, Archaeology
Department of Anthropology
University of New Mexico
What did the caveman say when he wanted to leave?

ATOM RSS1 RSS2