HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paulina Przystupa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:06:51 -0700
Hello all,

I was wondering if people had good references (including photos) for
Calk/Caulk/Cork boots used by lumberjacks, the ones with the spikes on the
bottom. I'm particularly interested in styles before 1960 and if possible
that were mid-calf or shorter. It seems like most modern ones have sockets
on the bottom where spikes can be taken out and replaced, like track shoes,
while the older ones were not so modular.  So any references that talk
about the evolution of those over time or links to manufacturer's catalogs
etc. would be very helpful.

Related to that, if anyone has good references for how much leather boots
like caulk/cork ones can shrink over time that would be a great help. I'm
interested in estimating shoe size but I don't want to over estimate how
much the leather shrank.

Lastly, if anyone knows more about this object (3 photos at different
distances) Photo Credit Burke Museum:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRRzF4WEFYTTdvSFk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRb2JUNmt6Qmg3bjg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzZORSlhQaGRemhmNWlVN0ZMNHM/view?usp=sharing

It looks like an flint fire starter and we found some pieces like this at a
couple of places on the site. However, this piece had an attachment on one
part and we weren't sure if that could help specify what kind of fire
starter it was etc. Thanks for your time.

--
Paulina F. Przystupa, MA
Graduate Student, Archaeology