From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2016 07:52:38 -0400
>>> When beekeepers began applying chemicals to their
>>> hives, that confered upon them the responsibility to
>>> make an effort to understand some principles of
>>> chemistry.

Its simpler than that, beekeepers sell food for human consumption, and must
OBEY THE LAW.
There is no legal food use of Butyric Anhydride.
It is just that simple.

>>> There are a number of us on the List with enough
>>> formal background in chemistry to help beekeepers
>>> to understand important safety and application issues.

One do better than listening to those who merely proclaim sufficient "formal
background".
There are clearly-worded laws such as the (USA) Federal Food, Drug, and
Cosmetic Act.
No chemistry knowledge is required to follow the law.
No lack of chemistry knowledge is an excuse for not following the law.

No amount of wordplay, dancing around, or debating tactics will change the
fact that there is "No Food Use" for Butyric Anhydride.
The law on adulteration says that if you use Butyric Anhydride in the
handling of honey, you cannot sell it as food for human consumption.  There
was an EPA "exemption from the requirement for a tolerance" years ago, but
it was revoked.  Without the exemption, it is illegal to use it in the USA.

Would anyone like to declare themselves enough of an expert in something to
take on the FDA?
Fair warning, the fines for even a misdemeanor violation of the FD&C act can
go to $100K:
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/ucm268127.htm
http://tinyurl.com/jhhcc6x

It does not even matter if the beekeeper had good intentions, as the "Park
Doctrine" makes for "strict liability":
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/RegulatoryProceduresManual/ucm176
738.htm#SUB6-5-3
http://tinyurl.com/9pyp62h

> I got a PhD in chem.  Fischer got a PhD in physics.

Both should be irrelevant, if the issue is, as was claimed, "Chemistry 101".

> obvious to a chemist.

If so "obvious", why not answer the specific questions I posed?

>> Due to some of his APPLICATION of basic physics
>> he was also Chemical Engineering man of the year
>> back in the mid 50's.

But absolutely everything is an application of one branch of physics or
another, even rainbows.  :)
See  http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png for the sort order.