From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:25:05 +0000
I am also in bear country these days.  I know of four hives within four miles, in all directions, from my house that have gotten whacked in the last year.  Bears have very thick fur.  It is real important to get a fence charger that puts out enough voltage to get thru that fur.  My charger will throw a spark across a 3/16 inch gap.  Most of them for general farm use do not come close to that.  I am hoping mine is good enough.  It was rated to charge 25 miles of fence.  My fence is barbed wire at 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 and 42 inches off the ground with the 6, 12 and 24 inch levels being grounded.  It is hung on steel T poles.  My grounding rod is eight feet in the ground as I recall.  My soil is clay so always wet a few inches down.  Sooner or later I am going to find out if this is good enough as I have a neighbor whose hives are only 200 yards from mine and not fenced.  I do know one thing.  When I get hit by it I really feel it.  You need to do weed control under the fence or weeds will short out the wires.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken