HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2014 15:06:51 -0600
Hello all,

I do hope that what I want to say will not throw too much of a spanner into
the conversation. I do not want to hijack it either -- only to point out an
inconsistency that could benefit from some internal disciplinary reflection.
Ian Burrow touched on this in one of the questions he raised, as I recall.

It has always struck me that the somewhat easy acceptance (by many) of
"catch and release" field strategies is at odds with the vehement objections
that most archaeologists raise to those who remove artifacts altogether
(whether for profit, or for "legitimate" fundraising).

Both practices -- whether conducted by "professionals" or "amateurs" --
result in the destruction of artifact contexts, and thus research potential.

Both practices -- whether conducted by "professionals" or "amateurs" -- are
subject to a "profit" motive. Contract archaeologists make an income.
Academics benefit too, though more indirectly. Individuals (or in our lingo,
looters) make a profit from selling artifacts.

Before the flames take over my computer, I do NOT argue FOR either practice,
and have argued against "catch and release" in other discussions. But I also
understand the practical reasons for it (mitigation contexts with piles upon
piles of so-called "non-diagnostic" artifacts, and overloaded repositories
with little state support for funding them, much less expanding them). Catch
and release is very, very common in Texas, at both prehistoric and historic
sites.

One could say that it boils down to a question of intent, but that doesn't
work consistently either. Certainly, in some of the indigenous contexts
described in this discussion, "catch and release" is entirely supportable
for ethical reasons. But, according to most (if not all) formal ethics
statements, it would not be seen as ethically supportable if (for example)
one of our client communities wanted to sell their own artifacts to fund
research archaeology on their own land. Members of the community I work for
have often asked why they cannot sell "redundant" ceramic sherds, nails etc.
to help fund our excavations. My explanations do not hold much water, if the
person asking happens to know that "catch and release" is a common practice
-- which they often do.

We need to be internally consistent, when we can. When we cannot, we need to
avoid sanctimoniously objecting to practices that are essentially the same
as those we readily accept. As Sarah Cowie noted, there is not a
one-size-fits-all solution. I just think we need to extend this idea to how
we frame (and enforce) our ethical mandates as well. Each context is
different.

Apologies to Ashley if this does not inform her original question. I also
need to be clear that I am speaking for myself only, not as a representative
of any group I happen to be a member of.

Carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc.
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org