HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"King, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:16:47 +0000
Dear HistArchers,

One of our students, Andreas Lutz, is in an Archaeology Practicum class at St. Mary's College where he along with his colleagues is cataloging, analyzing, and interpreting materials from the Addison Plantation site (18PR175; aka Oxon Hill) located in Prince George's County, MD. He has come across several iron artifacts, and links to images of one of these objects are posted below. Andreas has shown these to archaeologists at various institutions around the region, with some tentative -- but still unsatisfying -- identifications. The context is cellar fill believed to date to c. 1730s. Later disturbance is possible but not likely.  I told Andreas about the "hundreds of years of experience" represented by HISTARCH; colleagues, if you have suggestions for Andreas, we would both be grateful for your assistance!  Here are the links:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o289/knifetrader/Addisson%20Artifacts/18PR17503.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o289/knifetrader/Addisson%20Artifacts/18PR17501.jpg

Julie King
St. Mary's College of MD