HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:26:33 -0500
C’mon, guys...some philosophers DO offer tools that we can use in our
everyday practice, if we read them with that in mind. Philosophies, like
theories, are simply tools to think with.

The point, for who have found Foucault useful, hasn’t been to “praise” him –
it’s been to look at what he said about power, and then consider that in
light of both past lives (which we study through dirt, documents, etc.) and
contemporary ones (which we study when we deal with publics and
archaeology).

Likewise, the point of looking at things from a phenomenological perspective
can be as simple as thinking about what it means to be in a particular
space – such as a particular landscape. Surely this is part of the field
experience, even if we don’t put it that way.

What philosophy does is to give us ways to think about these things. It can
be a useful tool in an archaeological toolkit. No more, no less.

Which, speaking philosophically, comes from pragmatism…but I'll shut up now.

Carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
www.publicarchaeology.org