HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Doms, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:49:52 -0400
Here are my two cents.  The pierced disk may also be from a butter dish.
Butter used to be formed into balls, hence the term butterball.  Butter
dishes in the 1800s were subsequently round with a domed lid. (butter
dishes only became rectangular with the acceptance of prepackaged butter
in stick form in the early 1900s) Often, butter dishes had a deep base
to hold ice chips to keep the butter from getting too soft.  A pierced
ceramic inset was used to separate the butter and the ice.  (See Sears &
Roebuck 1897 and Montgomery Ward & Co. 1895) The antique dealers I have
spoken too, tell me that it is hard to find a round butter dish with its
inset intact as they seem to have broken easily.

Have you contacted the author of "Down By the Station: The excavation of
Los Angels Chinatown"?

Keith