From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:17:06 -0600
I don't think this will be inappropriate.  I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Simplisse pump.  I am always looking for something that will help adoptive moms.  It is fairly uncommon for adoptive moms who have not been pregnant or lactated recently to be able to stimulate much milk from pumping alone, unless they take domperidone.  Most of those do produce a significant amount of milk, from getting a baby suckling the breast.  I believe this is because even hospital grade pumps often do not reproduce the effects of a baby on prolactin levels enough to initiate lactation.  I am wondering if the Simplisse pump might come closer to duplicating the feeling of a baby at the breast, and thereby be more helpful for starting milk productiion. Many adoptive moms do take domperidone, but quite a few do not, for one reason or another.  It is nice for them to be able to offer their adopted babies some amount of breast milk, right away, but that is not the only reason I would like to find something to help adoptive moms who do not take domperidone.  Many who have pumped in advance and not seen any milk for their efforts get so discouraged that they give up on the whole idea before they even get their babies, which is always sad to hear about.  Had they just started out cold, nursing on demand with the Lact-Aid, most of those would produce a significant amount of milk, and all could have provided the best nurturing available.