From:
Pamela Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:18:08 -0400
I feel there will one day be a discovery as to what is going on with these women. I have seen too many whose breasts feel like "mush".  Several of the moms that have made plenty of milk have had problems with babies growing. One mom nursed 2 children, no problem, each over a year then had a Gastric Bypass.  She never meant to have more children but accidentally found herself pregnant about a year and a half after having the procedure. She was actually going for a tubal. She nursed this little boy just like her girls.  But he was failure to thrive, saw many doctors, had a biopsy even.  She knew she had tons of milk. She started pumping to supplement extra to the baby.  Her milk was totally different than when she pumped with her first two.  No milk fat separation at all. She took one look at it and ran to the Ped and they decided there was something wrong since she had the procedure that had changed her ability to make proper fat.

Only one the moms I have followed closely was not taking her sublingual B12s had the same issue.  But when she started taking them properly things improved, at that point she saw the change in her milk.  But other woman are taking their supplements and still having issues.  Most of them are too afraid to even try exclusive nursing despite my offer to follow them carefully and "catch" things quickly.  Which is sad as their babies are at the highest risk for obesity themselves.

Wish someone would research this issue.  We only did a phenomenology study on how women felt after having the procedure and attempted nursing. Come see the poster at ILCA in San Diego if you are attending this year.

Pamela A. Hendrix, BA, RNIV, IBCLC, RLC
S. Florida Hospital Based