HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:53:27 -0600
 Nearly 20 years ago, a number of us in Maryland wrote letters to the Department of Natural Resources and the public television station for purchasing and airing a series on metal detecting for fun and profit, pointing out that apart from showing these guys digging into stream banks, the series promoted a message that conflicted with the Department's gospel of resource conservation. The station ended up not renewing their agreement with the producers, although that may have been as much because the program sucked (bad in most anyone's estimation) as the letter writing campaign.

Somebody produces these shows and then sells them. The thing to do is to discourage people from buying and airing the shows. Doesn't prevent damage during filming, but discourages others from undertaking similar projects.

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road

Annapolis, Maryland USA ?? 21403