HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lucy Wayne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:02:36 -0500
The City has no authority over private property.  While St. Augustine does
have regulations regarding impacts to archaeological sites, I'm pretty sure
they only apply to public property or cases where some sort of construction
permit is involved.

It is unlikely Carl Halbirt can do anything about private property--as he
made fairly clear in the article.

By the way, in response to an earlier comment about the likelihood of
archaeological material in backyards in St. Augustine, a posthole survey
done with property owner permission years ago found plenty of evidence of
early St. Augustine in those yards.

Lucy Wayne, Ph.D., RPA
SouthArc, Inc.
Gainesville, FL