ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:44:01 -0500

I don't think of this as a wow, but don't completely discard the bike idea.  You can combine the bike idea with that of "energy vampires" and efficiencies.  This could make it demonstrably harder to keep things lit up.  However, I don't think of this as a wow demonstration, rather I think of this as a neat exhibit (with throw switches for the different energy vampires).  Are you looking for an auditorium style presentation, or a presentation at a table that people meander by in a festival?

-William

On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Erich Rose wrote:

> I've had this image in my head for years of a "wall" of hundreds little hamster wheels all going at once...
>
> Don't do the bike. You are right it has been done a hundred times and gives minimal insight to the user since, except for a bike light, there is no real use for bike-power in daily life (OK that is the cue for the science nerds to pile on...)
>
> The vampire things is a good subject but hard to make interesting.
>
> You guys need an animatronic Hadrosaur on a treadmill...
>
> Erich Rose
>
> Erich Rose Design
> 807 The Living End
> Austin, TX 78746
>

> On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Timshel E. Purdum wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> HI all
>> I have been asked to come up with a "wow" energy demonstration for a festival my museum is hosting in March. This is a bit out of my realm of experience so I am asking for ideas and help.  (My museum is a natural history museum and most of the demos and activities we do are biology/evolution/water related).
>>
>> The example I was given was "you know-like a bike to power something."   My concern with that is it's very popular and everyone else has done it so I'm not sure how "wow" that is.   Anyone ever tried some sort of electronic pad where people jump up and down to generate electricity?    I was also wondering about "energy vampires".  Our local power company (who would help fund this) has a large campaign on reducing energy vampires in the home.  Does anyone know a good resource for how much energy different appliances that are plugged in use-and how much human powered energy would be equivalent?
>>
>> Any other ideas?  I did look through the archives of this community and got a few.
>> THANKS
>>

>> Ms. Timshel Purdum
>> Senior Manager of Education
>> The Academy of Natural Sciences
>> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy
>> Philadelphia, PA 19103
>> 215-405-5071

>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>>
>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>>
>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>>
>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

> [...]

William Katzman
Program Leader