From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:43:12 -0500
 Well, the tongue is not a slight thing. It is kind of THE thing. It has a chicken and egg relationship with the entire nervous system and defines the function of the alimentary canal. It forms the oral cavity and defines much of our relationship with the rest of the world--both in the breastfeeding relationship and in the way we communicate. Without proper tongue control, we develop a passivity and/or defensiveness that can define the entire personality as the nervous system seeks compensatory and reorganizational routes to get the job done. Watch babies very carefully when they feed. Babies who are in control are competent; babies who are not are compensating. Compensatory behaviours tend to follow us for a lifetime. I hate doing things to babies. I am staunchly in favor of bodily integrity in all ways, yet I support frenotomy b/c I think there is just too much at stake and while we try to stem the tide of our toxic world, we need to optimize function for these babies. If there was another way to do it, I'd be the first on board. Sharon Vallone and I have tried to work around it--stretching and using chiropractic techniques and optimizing feeding, but we kept seeing the evidence that the long-term consequences are too real. The baby might feed but what about gut function, breathing, sinus infections, speech? This is another reason why I think chiro/CST is essential--feeding is not the only issue. I often use many other holistic interventions with these kids, b/c there is so much going on.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

From:    Deborah Albert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: tongue tie not a problem

Cathy,

  This makes so much sense!  I am always a little concerned when I get a
long nippled mom with oversupply and a tongue tie baby.  Yes, things seem
fine with intake, but what about physical repercussions for the child later?
Sleep apnea, enuresis, GERD, speech issues and orthodontia can all be
serious issues.  Isn't it amazing how one slight change in the body can
affect so many others?

Debbie Albert, Ph.D., RN, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant
NCH Healthcare