From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:30:32 -0400
Sara Roos asks NIkki:

"Nikki -- do you suppose infant massage mimics the physical experience
of a fetus in utero?  Or is all that water just too absorbent of
physical shock?  How moosheled about does a fetus get?  Perhaps their
own movement within confined space is what's being mimicked if
external shock is too buffered by amniotic fluid?  That is, does a
fetus in utero "massage itself" when it kicks?  (Physical therapists
utilize water-jet baths for healing after all...)."

Massage helps babies of any gestational age gain weight. Massage reduces stress (cortisol levels), organizes the nervous system, improves immune response, increases oxytocin levels and improves muscle tone. I tell moms to use coconut oil for massage--it is rich in vitamins E and K and is anti-microbial.

Also:
I recently had a mom whose auxilliary nipple was very painful and the tissue swollen. I told her to use castor oil compresses several times per day and it resolved quickly.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC