HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:15:31 EST
Marie,

Although I cannot provide a final report, I removed blocks of silty clay
from an exposed trash feature associated with an 18th century Spanish cannon
battery at Ballast Point, CA-SDI-12,000, in San Diego, California. The silty
clay formed in a ponding environment and quickly became anaerobic. The pond must
have been about 8-12 inches deep and received a very fine clay sediment that
transported in a colloidal state and settled around scraps of cut leather,
bone,  Spanish Majolica, seeds, and fruit pits. When we soaked the clay lumps in
fresh  water, tiny seeds floated to the surface. The leather had to be
de-salted in  distilled water baths for over a year and we then soaked them in
Carbowax to  preserve the specimens. The seeds have yet to be analyzed. There were
too few  ceramic pieces to make much of an interpretation. Once softened, we
then placed  the clay lumps in a window screen box and hosed off the clay to
expose fine  little pieces of things. My interpretation is the pond was near a
trash deposit  from both the kitchen and a leather shop, but most of the
feature is sealed  beneath a 1898 U.S. Artillery battery that has 32-foot thick
concrete walls that  are likely to prevent archaeology exposure in my lifetime.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 1/20/2009 8:13:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,