ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:58:40 -0500

Ok, I'll bite (Joe R - you owe me one), knowing I'll likely incur the
wrath of some other colleagues.....In a science center setting, on
the exhibit floor, I don't look to 'teach' anything.....1.  Given the
usual short time interval most people spend at an exhibit, doesn't
allow for teaching.  2.  Schools are the place, good and bad, where
teaching science occurs.  Science centers and other informal
institutions are better equipped to foster informal learning.  Huge
difference. 3.  The mathematics of music and sound is just way too
big a topic to consider containing in a single exhibit element
(That's not to say that the curious or more well informed visitor
can't find all kinds of stuff in such an exhibit to think about).

I loathe the use of the words teach and entertain in the same
sentence....sorry..... Play, engagement, props for learning, etc.,
are the kind of  words and phrases some of us in the field are more
comfortable with....execept of course when we are trying to sell
something, and then we all have to use the "T" and "E" words...

Glenn, I'm not saying you are wrong - that's one of the things I love
about this field - we all come from it in varying ways; just giving
you something else to think about.....If you want to learn more, I
highly commend the astc web site's resource page.  There are really
good article's to be found there, as well as links to other
repositories of articles, essays, etc....

As an art teacher of mine used to be fond of saying, "Don't try and
tell the history of art in one piece."