ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn J. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn J. Hill
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:48:47 -0700

Hi Jeff

 Let me rephrase my questions ! :-)

Does anyone use a laser installation or a laser harp to foster informal
learning about laser science, mathematics or music, as props for learning ?
Or is your laser harp or laser installation designed to mainly be for play?
:-)

Actually what I was thinking of  was to have a actual laser harp paired up
with an horizontal interactive laser display, with moveable mirrors and
prisms. The mirrors and prisms would be used to split and re-direct the
lasers to hit different and /or multiple optic sensors. These sensor would
be set to be activated in the 'normal' setting, where the laser beams
hitting the sensors would trigger the sounds, music, or projected visual
images. This is the opposite of the 'inverse' setting for the sensors used
in a framed laser harp, where interrupting the laser beam triggers the music
or visual projection event.

So this horizontal set-up could offer informal learning in how lasers
interact with optics, with perhaps some visual images, or a model of a
magnified laser, showing how they work.

A laser harp could also act as an engaging prop for learning about musical
scales, and the timing of musical intervals, as well as the connection
between projected images and the sounds that go with them. ( For example the
sounds of the instruments of the orchestra, and video or still pictures of
those instruments. In the software I use, up to 60 events can be programmed
for each laser beam, and the software can respond up to 70 times per second,
which is great for drum-kit sounds ! :-) Or for the connection of video or
still images of animals in nature, paired with the sounds they make.

The software I use has many 'songs', pre-programmed as interactive games,
that can be used to foster informal learning about music and other subjects
that are both audio and visual.. And additional ones can be easily
programmed and added to the system. There are 4 buttons available that can
have whatever number of pre-programmed interactive media events one desires
to be available to visitors, for them to scroll through and play with..

Jeff, thank you sincerely for the feedback on my use of certain terms!:-)
I will check out the ASTC website resource pages as well.  Come see me at my
booth at the conference !

 Be well,  Glenn

Live your life in Joy, and follow your Bliss !

Glenn Hill

Mountain Glen Harps LLC
LaserHarps.com

809 W. First Street, Phoenix Oregon, 97535
541-535-7700  Fax: 541-535-5657

skype:  glenn.j.hill

www.mountainglenharps.com  www.laserharps.com

My blog: http://thecustomharpbuilder.blogspot.com/