HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:54:30 -0500
Mary,

I sure wish that was true in all states & in both directions.  I get rather tired of prehistoric archeologists assuming that they can adequately excavate historic sites.  Unfortunately, our SHPO doesn't require the same level of experience in the particular site type/age range that I found was the case when I worked in RI, MA, CT, etc.  Fairly regularly archeologists with next to no experience (no formal training) in historical archeology excavate historic sites.  Most don't even have a clue as to how to use & interpret the historical documentary record, much less the artifacts, etc. found on site.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves.

Marsha K. King, Archeologist II
Environmental Services Section
Bureau of Design