From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:43:04 +0100
Thank you, Pamela, for your expressed concerns. I've been wondering about
this, too.
I breastfed my first and was sure I would be able to breastfeed the second
as well. So I did. I was pretty engorged the first days, but attributed that
to the fact that the elder one had only recently been weaned and my milk was
simply coming in very fast. Anna is now 17 and only some three years ago did
I notice that she has a very clear tt. She's a very good speaker, always has
been, although, like with Pamela, you can notice a few slight speaking
characteristics that are likely due to the tt.
As for the trust/placebo-aspect: I never understood why people are often so
condescending about a placebo-effect. Isn't the placebo-effect the best
proof of mental power and the close link between body and mind you can
possibly get? Isn't it much better to heal or to solve a problem by means of
placebo/psychological effects than by using medication...? Shouldn't we be
more open to the usefulness of placebo? It's a Latin word, meaning "I
please", "I'm appreciated". Is this what the patient says or what the
'means/medication' says...? If something is pleasurable and appreciated, you
will release oxytocin, which has a positive effect on many, many things,
makes you feel better, lowers bp and stress levels, improves wound healing,
makes you more open to interaction... Interesting, right?! ;o))

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands