From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 08:47:50 +0200
This is one of my pet topics and I would like to take it a bit further than
you do now, Pat.
Moms who are *with* their baby, are also working!! They are just doing a
different job than those in an office or factory or other working
environment!
I'm catching up on Lactnet, as we came back yesterday evening from a
wonderful congress in England, Winchester (LCGB), where Gabrielle Palmer
gave a beautiful lecture, also mentioning the economic value of
breastfeeding. Breastfeeding women have a renewable resource with their
milk, prevent unnecessary 'food miles', because nothing has to be
manufactured or transported (so environmentally sane), and save loads of
money for non-arising healthcare problems, money that could be spent on
other important societal issues.
So, picture this... you look after my child and I look after yours... we
both work. If be both raise our own children, neither of us works! Weird,
huh?!
On our way back from Winchester to Gatwick Airport, we made a little detour
and visited Pamela Morrison, member of the ILCA Ethics Committee. We could
have talked much longer than the little over three hours we had, as ethical
issues are widespread. Calling breastfeeding moms at home with their
children *not working*, might be one of them. Check out Bowlby's work, and
see what he thinks...!
Exempting Medela from important obligations most definitely is another...
:-s How can we possible uphold the Code of Ethics and Scope of Practice, if
IBLCE is 'leading us the way' like this...? How will we ever be able to
succesfully address IBLCE with ethical questions on other subject that are
closely related to daily practice (such as, what comes first: your
employer's 'rules' or your credentials?) if this is happening...?
Okay... back to reading...

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands (with still a head full of thoughts
after hearing Cathy Genna, Gabrielle Palmer and Richard Bowlby and speaking
to Pamela... thanks again, girl! ;o))