From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:30:22 -0800
Superb musicmaking Thursday night at Disney Hall.  Andsnes has moved to
the top of the list of pianists I've heard live.  Marvelous control and
superb balance with Tetzlaff, especially in the Brahms Third.  It reminded
me of his third movement duo with LA Phil cellist Peter Stumpf in the
Second Piano Concerto from 2008.  I just wonder, "How in the hell do
they pull that off?" 'That' being bringing out parts of well-known works
that one didn't know were there.  And how a pianist can keep from blowing
away a violin or a cello without making it seem like he's intentionally
throttling back.  Maybe pedalling with both feet, as Andsnes appeared
to do, is the key.

Janacek is showing up more often down here and I loved the 'crunchy'
sonata that opened the program.  Excellent Schubert B minor Rondo to
finish it and what felt like an out-of-place Mozart K. 377 after
intermission.  We got two encores of Sibelius Danses Champetres but
unfortunately no PDQ Bach which the news reports say the duo love to
play.

Ravi Narasimhan
Redondo Beach, CA