ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Marcia Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:30:38 -0600

I have to chime in on this debate on holiday themes.  While at OMSI some
years back our Ex. Director at the time, in an effort to be non religious
and different decided we'd have a Renaissance Faire, complete with really
lovely costumes for all of us!  The "science" consisted of booths (like at
an outdoor Renfaire) that replicated 15th century science.  It all
culminated with a winter solstice feast and celebration.  Interesting, but
I'm not sure if people really made the connection....(solstice, science
etc).  The local Society for Creative Anachornism came and did weekend shows
on jousting, candle making etc.  All very interesting as these folks really
get into it.  We did however have to ask some of the "maidens" to reveal a
little less cleavage than their costumes normally revealed.

Last year our little center decorated a tree for the local Festival of the
Trees fundraiser (we got second place in our division, beat out by Cracker
Barrel of all people)....We decorated it all in an Astronomy theme with glow
in the dark stars, rockets, planets, lunar rovers....and a really cool tree
topper.  One of exhibit guys retrofitted one of the perpetual motion toys in
the science store as a tree topper....it went over very well.  We had some
left over ornaments so we decorated the tree for the center in the same way
and will be using it as our "tree" in the front lobby.

Marcia Hale
Events, Public Programming, Marketing
The Discovery Center of Idaho
131 Myrtle Street