ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:07:55 -0700
From:
Lisa Borok <[log in to unmask]>

One of the ideas we're using is a presentation about "marine snow"
(marine analogs to dust balls under the furniture, but with a very
important ecological role). Given that we're in a part of California
with rather mild winters, the idea of a local "Avalanche of Snow??"
goes over quite well.

We also host an annual "Jingle Shells" book and art festival. We
feature local artists with a marine/natural history emphasis and
showcase local authors (including faculty). It draws a different
crowd than usual and is very popular.

And yes, we do deck the halls for this ("secular" trees with marine
ornaments, little twinkly lights, and outdoor luminaria in the
evenings). We also deck our 87-foot blue whale skeleton with lights!
(see http://www2.ucsc.edu/seymourcenter/calendar.html for a peek).

Lisa Borok ([log in to unmask])
Visitor Programs Manager
Seymour Center, Long Marine Lab, Univ. California Santa Cruz

--
Lisa Borok ([log in to unmask])
Visitor Programs Manager
Seymour Center, Long Marine Lab, Univ. California Santa Cruz
100 Shaffer Rd., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)459-5548
Fax: (831)459-1221
web: http:/seymourcenter.ucsc.edu