HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:43:45 -0400
Forwarded from the Ceramics-L list; I thought perhaps someone here might
have some thoughts. Please include Christian Gates on your reply

--Megan Springate

Subject: Mica Temper
From:    "Christian Gates" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Wed, July 1, 2009 9:26 am
To:      [log in to unmask]

Some colleagues from Montreal have found an assemblage of what seems to be
Native American ceramics heavily tempered with mica: mica fragments are
large, numerous and nearly as important as the clay itself. The pottery
fragments are very hard and they break more like European ceramics than
Native American ceramics. The context is a French settlement from the
XVIIth Century.

Is anyone familiar with such pottery? Can anyone provide me with similar
examples of Native American or European ceramics heavily tempered with
mica?

Thank you

Christian Gates St-Pierre
Archaeologist, PhD
Ethnoscop inc.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

      Découvrez les photos les plus intéressantes du jour.
http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/