HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Touton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:31:12 -0700
It reminds me of wax seals such as those used by the Indus people (e.g.,
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~djbromle/cartoon04/shobha/Seals_SR2.htm; see
especially the second image), but those are usually carved in the
negative to leave a positive impression and your bronze piece looks like
a positive carving.  Perhaps folk art, a talisman, or perhaps even a
souvenir meant to imitate an ancient seal?  Have you been able to date
the layer from which the object was found?

Michelle